The Mouchet house was first built in Ikuno in 1872 for the French engineer and geologist Émile Théophile Mouchet (1845–1895). Tasked with helping to mechanize and modernize the Ikuno mine, Mouchet and his family returned to France once the improvements were complete. In 1887 the Mouchet house was relocated to Mikobata for use as an administrative office. Changing hands several times, the building saw continued use until the closure of the Mikobata ore processing plant in 1987.
In 2004, the Mouchet house underwent renovations to restore its historical appearance, then opened as a museum. Its exhibits include photographs, dioramas, ore samples, and video footage that depict the history and operations of the Mikobata mine and processing plant.
Cultural Property Data：
|Spot Name||Former Mikobata Mine Office (Old Mouchet House)|
1826-1 Sano, Asago City 679-3453
|Hours||10:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|Note||Hot water is available only for people with disabilities.|